Monday, November 4, 2013

Foodie Friday (Fall Bread Baking)

My dad grows pumpkins and everything seems to be pumpkin flavored these days so I tried this out. Plus, I've added my mom's awesome sourdough bread and my favorite banana nut bread! I know everybody wants to be gluten free but sometimes you just gotta have some bread! 
 
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Courtesy of Pillsbury
1 can of Pumpkin
4 eggs
3/4 c. butter
4 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/8 c. miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp  nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 1/8 cups sugar
2 Tbsp pecans
1/2 cup water
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of two 8X4 loaf pans.
Next, mix dry ingredients and set aside.
Then in a large bowl beat sugar and butter with mixer until creamy. Next add eggs, water and can of pumpkin on low speed.
Add nuts and chips.
 
Bake for 1 hour 5 mins to 1 hour 15 mins.
Cool for 1 1/2 hours.
 
I have always loved my mom's sourdough bread. I usually make it for Christmas happies for Paul's coworkers. When I make a pot of soup and if I have time, I love making this bread! You don't have to feed the starter for days.
 
Sourdough Bread
Starter:
1 c. warm water
3/4 c. sugar
1 pkg. of yeast
3 T. of potato flakes
Bread:
6 c. bread flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1 c. starter
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. warm water
Make starter and let it sit in a closed container for 1 1/2 hours until smells sour.
Mix sugar, oil, salt and water together. Add starter. Stir in two cups of flour at a time. Place in greased bowl to rise in a warm place. When doubled in size, about four hours, knock down and knead. Divide into at least two loaves. Let rise again until doubled in size. Bake at 350 until brown.
 
Banana Nut Bread
1/2 c self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3 med. bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts
 
Combine all ingredients and pour in loaf pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 mins and then 350 degrees for 35-40 mins.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment