Monday, November 4, 2013

Being a coach's wife is hard but you've got to embrace it...



I follow several blogs written by coach's wives and there was a guest post on The Football Wife and it just made me so unbelievable sad. The wife talks about the resentment she felt about her husband coaching but she also discusses how she has dealt with it. I wanted to tell her -- you are missing out.

From the moment we set foot on Ethel High School's campus, I've totally embraced my role as a coach's wife even more so than I did at South Pontotoc. There are some great and rewarding moments and moments when you have to stop, take a deep breath and pray to God. We love them like they were our own children.

I've baked cookies, cleaned the field house, washed jerseys at our house and shed many happy and sad tears over the years and it's all because I've embraced the team and the coaches as my family. You take care of your family and support your family.

I've embraced that my husband isn't going to be home much and there will be many nights when his supper waits for him in the microwave. Sometimes, that's hard but I also know all the pressure he puts on himself and how hard the players and coaches work and that takes time. Every year it's an adjustment.

I've embraced that fact that we aren't going to have many true friends because of Paul's coaching. With the exception of the coaches and their wives and several teachers, we've got a small tight inner circle and I'd rather have five great friends than  several hundred "good" ones.

There is probably one thing I won't ever embrace or except and that's the critics. Win or lose, there is always someone out there that has their opinion about how Paul coaches. I know how hard he works, how much work he brings home, how many hours are put into each week...not to mention the devotions he leads on Friday mornings, the counseling his gives and how in a lot of cases, he's the only father figure some of those players have.

For nearly 10 years, I've either been the coach's girlfriend, fiancée or wife and I wouldn't trade where I've spent those Friday nights for anything in the world. Cause you see, my heart lies on that field.




1 comment:

  1. i also like to play football. it is awesome game which i also played my free time.
    banquet halls in ludhiana

    ReplyDelete