Monday, July 8, 2013

A Sparkle to my Monday Morning: Blueberry Gems


Who doesn't love blueberry muffins? This recipe is simple, from Rolling Fork and makes any "blue" Monday better.
 
My home church, Rolling Fork United Methodist Church, put together a cookbook several years ago and we sold every one of them. It has a lot of basic southern recipes from comeback sauce to Mexican cornbread to fried venison. An added bonus is that it had all my mom's and grandma's recipes.
 
With fresh blueberries in my fridge, I just new there had to be a muffin recipe inside that cookbook. What I found was Mrs. Helen Mayo's Blueberry Gems. Mrs. Mayo is an excellent baker.
 
Blueberry Gems
2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberries (I used fresh but I'm sure frozen would work as well.)
 
Combine flour and sugar. Combine eggs, vanilla, oil and milk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in vanilla, oil, and milk. Stir until just mixed. Fold in blueberries. Stir for 1 minute. Spoon into greased muffin tins, fill half full. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 mins. Makes 24 muffins.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment