Thursday, July 4, 2013

Changes in my life

As of Tuesday, July 2, at 4 p.m. my job as editor of The Star-Herald is over. I was told by the chief of operations for Emmerich Newspapers that they were re-structuring the company and my position as managing editor was no longer needed. They have brought in a publisher/editor and they also eliminated a sales position.

For six years, I have come to work everyday at The Star-Herald to serve the community. I've made people mad. I've made people happy. I've had both good and bad experiences there but the job has always been rewarding despite the headaches. I have always done my job to the best of my ability and been rewarded with press association awards. We won a total of 9 this year alone.

It came as a shock to me and my coworkers. All of our eyes were filled with tears as I told them the news. They are like my family and will always be. I've worked with awesome people and made life-long friendships.

How it was done or why it was done is not the reason for this post but to let y'all know -- I am going to be fine. I am going to take a little time in figuring out what the next step with be. Thank God for our side business of selling antiques and home decor.

I've also learned that Kosciusko is the place I call home now as I have had overwhelming support from all that I've talked too. I am truly blessed for each and everyone of them and my family too. My husband is truly my rock.

I talked to my mentor or my first "boss," who I affectionately call "Pops." He told me to always remember that this had nothing to do with my skills or job performance that I am a good newspaper person. Unfortunately, in this business, it is become more and more about the bottom line.

At the end of the day and when I close my eyes, all I know is this -- I don't know what the future holds but I do know who holds my future.

P.S. I've got so much to blog about and catch up on so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment