Saturday, August 27, 2011

And sometimes you have to look at the big picture





I got on the field early Friday night. I couldn't take it. I needed to walk off the nervous energy after all we were playing the South Pontotoc Cougars.

Our stat guy, Charles Fancher, asked me if I was "Okay." I guess I looked a little white faced. "Yes, I'm fine. I'll be okay," I told him. "It's a just a lot to take in. I love Coach Chism and Denise but it's just to much to take in." And my eyes welled up with tears.

Then the clock started and y'all played ball. I've never seen y'all play like that. Every ounce of effort. Never quit. I've only seen one Ethel team play like that and the seniors were in jr. high. Potts was standing on the sideline as manager in the 7th grade.

I could not be more proud of y'all. I know y'all wanted to win for your coach and let me tell you, it was an awesome effort.

Friday morning, I didn't pray for a win (I figured that would be just me wanting revenge and that's wrong). I prayed for no injuries, for Paul not to get strung out and for us to show that we could play football. Everything I prayed for came true.

Moving here will always be one of the greatest changes in our lives. He was going to get that Sebastopol head football job (we were told later after he didn't go to the job interview and he could have been worked at Ridgeland High School) and we picked you.

I win would have been great but the bigger picture is that we are changed by you and for the better. And I know Coach has changed you. So no matter where you go and no matter what you do, Coach and I will always be here. We love y'all so much!

There were three young men, long past their playing days (I'm guessing they are about 25), standing on the fence cheering on the Ethel Tigers and dressed in black because Coach Dees coached them at South Pontotoc from the 7th grade all the way through their senior year. Some bonds can't be broken.

Now let's get ready to take the Attala County Champion title back to Ethel!







No comments:

Post a Comment