Monday, August 26, 2013

Letters to Coach

I'm thankful that L.D.'s mom, Marilyn, snapped this photo of all of us after his last game.   













As I mentioned Friday, this year marks 25 years that Paul has been coaching in both the private and public school systems and it should be celebrated. And I got decorations, made a photo collage and baked a cake but that wasn't the best surprise...I got his former players to write him letters, sharing their memories and letting him all the things they had done for them.

My plan is to give him one each football Friday for the rest of the season. He chose to read former South Pontotoc QB L.D. Gillespie's first. Paul coached at South for 11 years and was the head coach for 10 years. L.D. graduated in 2005.

Knowing L.D. as I do, I know he wouldn't mind me sharing a portion of his letter.



Excerpt from L.D.'s letter: 
"As I reflect over those years, I am so thankful I had you leading me and the South Pontotoc Football team.  Your goal as a football coach was no doubt to get the best out of the guys on your team and ( I have always said) you did a masterful job of adapting your system to fit the players dealt to you. 

As a product of your system, I think you did a wonderful job of those two things. However, that wasn’t your only goal; you also were a great Godly/Manly/Fatherly role model for your players. 

There are 1000’s of people out there that can study the x’s and o’s of the game, but in my opinion that isn’t was what makes a great coach. The role model you were for your players is what made you a great coach and few people can put those two things together. 

You stood behind us, motivated us, and believed in us, which I am grateful for.  Coach, I would like to thank you for being the example you were to me.  There is zero doubt in my mind that you had a major role in shaping me to the man I am today. 

Going back that my last play, I remember you and Coach Waldrop came to me and instead of being mad that I made a mistake, yall both told me if there was one player that played their heart out the entire season it was me and to keep my head up and be proud of a great season. 

Moments like those are why I still, to this day, think the world of you. 

Coach Dees….. Thank You and I Love Ya…." 




No comments:

Post a Comment