Sunday, August 8, 2010

Did I like football before I married a coach?

I get that question a good bit and the answer is yes! I couldn't make it through football season with him, if I didn't like it.

Being in a house full of women, my dad was always out numbered but we found a common interest in football by the time I was 11 or 12. I started watching Mississippi State football with my Dad during the Jackie Sherrill era. The door to my closet was covered with newspaper clippings and photos of Sleepy Robinson and Sherrill.

If the Dawgs weren't on TV, then we tuned into the radio with Jack.

I was also the proud owner of a New Orleans Saints football growing up as well.

Then I went to college at MSU, and I was there for the legendary season of 1999. I went to every home game. The atmosphere was just awesome! Paul and I have been fortunate to have season tickets at MSU for two years. We enjoy going and we are excited even in the rain!

Plus, football coaching runs in the family -- my uncle was an assistant coach at several high schools and played at Delta State; one cousin was the head football coach at several schools and I have two cousins married to former football coaches as well. I guess it's just a way of life.

I guess it was FATE! :)


My Dad, #65, with my Papa and Mimi in the fall of 1969. This is the only photo I have ever seen of my dad in his uniform. I use to wear his jersey as a little girl. My dad was a good looking football player!


My Uncle Kelly suited up as a Delta State Statesmen in the 80s. I had to miss my dancing lessons to go watch him play in Cleveland one Thursday and I cried. I was sooooooooooooooo mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment