Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ahhhhh the Delta -- Where the land is flat and the dirt is brown...


My column in this week's Star-Herald:
Every time I go to buy potting soil, I chuckle just a little bit.
Why you ask? About four years ago,  the husband and I decided to make a rose bed at our Pontotoc home. I told him we needed to make a list of everything we needed.
“Let’s see, we will need a tiller, plants, rose food and mulch,” I said.
And Paul said, “We will need to get some soil.”
“Why would we need that?” I replied, thinking we had acres of soil right here.
Then he explained to me that the land was made of red clay and we would need additional soil for the plants to grow.
Before you start thinking this brunette had a “blonde moment,” I have to tell you this – I am from “The Delta,” Rolling Fork to be exact.
If you wanted to plant a flower bed there, all you do is clear a spot and dig a hole. Then, “bam” the plants grow.
It’s magic.
Speaking of the Delta, Paul and I traveled there on Saturday to celebrate Father’s Day with my dad and grandpa. My parents, Paul and I traveled about 20 miles outside of Rolling Fork to Onward, where we treated them to dinner.
The only thing in Onward is The Onward Store and they serve some of the best hamburgers and hot tamales in the whole, wide world. 
A new addition to the convenience store is the sit-down restaurant.
It’s a real treat with memorabilia of President Teddy Roosevelt’s famous bear hunt and other Delta memorabilia.
The menu includes breakfast, lunch and dinner items.
They have steak, seafood and hamburger steaks that would rival any restaurant.
Another thing that’s great about Delta life, you can actually see where you are going.
Since the land is flat and used for farming, you can see for miles and miles.
That is something I miss as I travel the hills of Attala County.  Well, that and brown dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment